Sunday 21 November 2010

Sundays Mean I Actually Post

Sorry about the lack of posts this week, I had about three lined up in my head that I just didn't get round to writing at all.

On Tuesday I went to see the Addies Panto opening night, and it was great fun. I meant to write a proper review here- especially as the only other review they got was here http://cambridgetab.co.uk/reviews/review-the-chronic-ills-of-narnia-addenbrookes-panto/. The less said about my colleagues' love for taking their shirts off the better. As ever it was full of in jokes directed solely at those of us going through clinical school, but I enjoyed them more this year because I actually am, and full of my friends showing their surprising star qualities. (and cross-dressing).

I do have a funny story from the wards to tell you about a patient too- no names obviously. So I have just finished my first week on the Diabetes and Endocrine team in Addies and apart from feeling pretty stupid- turns out medics expect more knowledge of syndromes than surgeons- I have seen a lot of people with Diabetic foot problems. One of the guys on the ward was a diabetic who had come in for some surgery on his feet (not uncommon) and Alex and I went off to interview him as we had it on good authority that he was friendly and would be very happy to chat to us. And he was- waves and smiles when we get to the end of the bed and someone who was actually generally fit and well makes a nice change in someone to talk to. After about 15 minutes of me asking questions and some good-natured old man flirting and banter with Alex from him we get to the bit where I ask how he copes at home. He chooses this as the moment to announce the fact that he has been registered blind for the last two years- obviously I am a little taken a back that he didn't say anything earlier but its what he went on to say that cracked me up:
"I've got Glaucoma love, can't see much more than shapes, don't get me wrong I know you're there and that you're gorgeous but I have no idea what your features look like."
Gotta love the compliments from little old men.

What was really nice was Mum and Angus came for a flying visit on Friday, as Angus had a meeting in London. So Mum came up here Friday lunch time and Angus came up to meet us for dinner. And as I had to spend the afternoon in Clinical School Mum tidied up my room and DID MY IRONING FOR ME! Thank you Mum! She told me that she wanted to help and all of a sudden my room is tidy and I have clean ironed work clothes again so I am a happy bunny. We all went out and had a lovely dinner at D'Arry's which I would recommend to anyone in or around Cambridge and then they went home yesterday lunch time. There's talk that it will become a more regular thing and that would be really nice, especially because I'm really bad at ironing.

Finally, BIRC was today. After a lot of planning on my part and then a LOT of anxious waiting we got to go out onto the machines in the sweltering NIA. I'm not overly pleased with the 2K I pulled and I think none of the CUW girls really were, but it was always a gamble going to do a 2K in unknown conditions. Despite all of that congratulations to Tamara, Penny, Lizzie and Marthe who all pulled impressive enough times to medal. And we got to see John Hodgson who is 100 set the very first records for that age group, Debbie Flood post an impressive time and Graham Benton win his 8th (i think) medal at BIRC. Oh and 5 of us got some Compress Sport for Quad things to review so I'll let you know what I think once I have worn them for something more than the car ride home.

One last thing, Happy 21st Birthday to GP who had to come race at BIRC on her birthday and who treated us to a lovely dinner in Small Hall on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment