Thursday 10 February 2011

Catch Up 3: Back to Cambridge

First of all, sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was busy rescuing David who had hurt his knee at "Manly Circuits" and now can't walk. Also you may have noticed that there are now adverts here, basically if I make any money from them I'll donate it to the Sponsor a seat fund.


Back to the point, I've filled you in on the end of Mich term and the holidays so on to the first few weeks of this term...


Rowing:

The rest of CUWBC went to Soustons for training camp for ten days at the start of January. I bought flights to go out and join them for the weekend, and was all prepared to go, but then I had a difficult journey back down and ended up missing the first day back at Clinical School and so I couldn't go out to Soustons and miss another 4 days. Instead I did ALOT of classes at the gym and erged with the Clare girls, and once I went out rowing in a mixed Clare boat. The mixed boat was pretty entertaining, especially as I got to stroke it, Alice and I spent most of the time making sarcastic comments, and a boat with guys in it goes REALLY fast even if it is going badly.

Medicine:

Once I had got back to Clincal School, I was on Vascular Surgery for my first placement. Turns out vascular surgery is incredibly dull. There are three things that people in for vascular surgery have- an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), varicose veins, or necrotic feet. AAA can be very dramatic if they rupture in which case they are a surgical emergency, but mostly they are very slow to increase in size and after their incidental discovery they are left alone before being fixed a few months to a few years later. Varicose veins are very boring as there is nothing that can be done really on the NHS for most people. Necrotic tissues are kind of interesting, in that occasionally, very occasionally there are amputations. But turns out what is interesting is interventional radiology, mostly because there are lead suits to wear and a cool consultant called T.C.See and who likes to teach med students!

Social:
Seeing as how I had a weekend where I didn't need to go to Ely or in fact rowing at all because I couldn't make training camp David and I went to Chester for the weekend. Needless to say Chester was really really nice and it was wonderful to get away for a few days. We went to the Zoo! The Zoo was really good fun, I haven't been to the zoo for years and years- I loved the jaguars!

1 comment:

  1. Your diagram makes me recall the days of memorising Clergyman's knee and Tennis elbow. Good job.

    ReplyDelete