Tuesday 8 February 2011

Catch Up 2: The Holidays

Today was a good, but very very long day. I'll tell you all about it another time, for now I left you at Trial Eights dinner last night so it is time to continue and describe my lovely Christmas Holiday...

Despite the snow I got home with no delays or problems at all and settled in for a few weeks of rest and relaxation. Just being at home, able to sleep and sit around doing nothing but go to the gym (less than I should have) and eat (more than I should have) was amazing. I was so so surprised how much last term had taken out of me and it was a big relief to build back up some resilience and energy stores.

Apart from potter around snowy Kilmacolm, doing not very much and definitely no rowing or medicine, I had the chance to catch up with Emma, Kirsty, Ally and the rest of the St. Columban's at Elaine's Birthday in a lovely bar in Glasgow. The bar was great- I had a Mojito in a mug, and various other cocktails in a brown paper wrapped bottle, a jam jar and a tin can! Everyone looked stunning and for the first time in a really really long time I had a night out with the girls I went to school with.




Christmas was then suddenly upon us and we had a lovely chilled day at home eating food that we all helped to cook- I made (arranged) the anti-pasti type starter and made Cranachan for pudding. I got some awesome presents as well including some lovely clothes, a new ipod and the ridiculous if very warm and useful snow leopard hat with ears and a nose.

Heading up north on Boxing Day we dropped into see Eliot and Nicky (and Angus and Stella) before braving the snow and the dark on the A9 to make it to the cottage. Unfortunately as we turned on the water it became very clear something was not right... we had a burst pipe. Luckily it was in the bathroom and luckily we caught it about 10s after it started but still not the best of starts to a "DIY Free" holiday in the DIY hungry cottage, cue lots of plumbers over the next few days.

David arrived into Inverness on the 30th, and after much faff about my brother managing to leave with our only set of Golf keys, and the need for even more DIY plumbing; Mum, Angus and Phil left to spend Hogmanay in Kilmacolm. We had a lovely chilled couple of days in the cottage, going for walks in the surrounding areas and David taking amazing photos like the one above. On one such walk on New Year's Day we randomly bumped into Cat, Donald and Tom who were up staying at Donald's cottage not far from mine. It was by far the most coincidental meeting I have ever had, but nice to say Happy New Year to them all and it made me smile to think how small the world is!

Next Up I don't go on Training Camp...

No comments:

Post a Comment